Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

Looking Like October

Mockingbird had to have two teeth pulled so that the new ones could come in straight.
I tried to play it cool, and forget two years ago when my wisdom teeth were removed. Which really wasn't that bad by itself, but thrown in having had a baby 4 weeks prior, and nose surgery two weeks after and it was a streesful time that this only resurfaced.

We there are both doing well, when the nurse leans over to to her coworker, "They're going to be sawing."
Wha-? I sit in disbelief.
He didn't hear so she repeated, pantomiming a handsaw in motion this time over Mockingbird's reclined head.
Soon I realized she wasn't talking about a dental procedure, but the landscapers outside, as the sound of a chainsaw tore through the window. This was a relief, but  unsettling itself. Mockingbird seemed fine and I tried to pat her leg every once in awhile. But when I glanced up to see at just the right angle what was going on inside her mouth, I took a deep breath and decided to just keep my eyes on my book.
Our visit was a total of 15 minutes, 15 long minutes.
Mockingbird wiped her eyes--brave girl--got her toy, and we left.

On the way home I tried to make things lighter.
"Wow, it's officially October now isn't it?...Overcast skies, crisp air, yellow leaves, and pumpkins out-"
"and bloody teeth" Mockingbird mumbled around her gauze. (Twice because I couldn't understand her.)

No comments:

Post a Comment