I got the idea from Our Learning Journey: A Journal for habit cards made with images from works of art and laminated.
If I were really cool, I'd have mine up on Google docs too. But i don't. Maybe someday.
So I scoured the Internet for pictures our family would like, my thinking being that if it's something we like to look at, we'll look at it...more.
So, the first day they were up the kids were very interested in reading the artist and titles. I still am.
Albrecht Durer was someone we had studied, and his detailed Praying Hands work perfectly here. Personally, I love his Rhinoceros more, but couldn't find a way to fit it into our day...
The Last of the Mohicans by N.C. Wyeth was a family favorite because we are part Mohawk (but those of us over 2 don't normally dress like this.)
Vincent Van Gogh makes a tidy Bedroom at Arles--even if his life was not.
We had recently read a children's version of Hamlet and found Ophelia's imminent death hilarious when paired with personal grooming. (insert carefree humming) And I wanted a Waterhouse...that wasn't topless.
Cezanne's Still Life with Compotier is a skewed and disheveled table--not still at all-- and appropriately, needing clean up.
The Wreck of the Covenant by N.C. Wyeth (from Kidnapped) makes bathing seem a delightful option, especially if you are recently shipwrecked.
Jessie Wilcox Smith of course, found her way into the mix more than once."But why do you have the Mona Lisa for 'Brush Teeth', mom? She isn't showing any teeth."
"And why not?...Because she didn't brush them and they look terrible--Let that be a lesson to you!"
No comments:
Post a Comment