Around the 4th of July near our stomping grounds, a colonial village of sorts pops up. Time warps and coincedental school subject correlations are something I jump on when the opportunity (or TARDIS) presents itself.
Near the entrance was a wonderful Mayflower replica with all kinds of seaworthy instruments I couldn't figure out how to work--but they were pretty!
Then further in was a traditional oven with colonial treats at practically colonial prices (we each went back for thirds.)
Sauntering in some more we found a large tent lined with replicas
There were plenty of ways for the kids to try-out colonial life; school sessions (Bowery Bird & Mockingbird donned white ruffly caps), rope-making (Kingfisher made 3), water hauling (very time-consuming), and even colonial costumes to try on (so fun for us & generous of them!)
There was a casket maker's tent, pottery, wooden tureen ware, lace-making, preaching, and lots of little white tents for the volunteers to over-night it (a surprised Kingfisher lifted the flap to one.)
But most memorable indeed was the tent filled with military uniforms of various wars--Revolution, Civil, etc. apparently still soiled with blood and worn with wear.
Amazed, I asked the young man standing there, "These are great! Where did you get them from?"
"Get what from?" he responded.
"the costumes--where do they come from?"
"My closet" and he looked me square in the eye.
And if you were fool enough to ask the same question again (I am) a smart aleck would respond the same (he did.)
No comments:
Post a Comment