Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

What does 'hostage' mean?

We are reading in This Country of Ours, albeit a bit controversial for some--but a book great for discussions on viewpoint.
This week it was Pocahontas being traded for a copper kettle then held hostage on a ship by colonists. I asked Bowery Bird, "do you know what 'hostage' means?"
A pause then she sits up off the couch, "Yeah, Princess Leia and Han Solo were held hostage by Darth Vader in the Cloud City until Luke came and rescued them from Jabba the Hut--"
"and C-3PO was shooting the Stormtroopers and saying "Die Jedis! Die!" and then "What am I saying?!-- Oh Pardon me." ( Kingfisher interjected, complete with facial expressions).
It went on from there as they relived a few more scenes.
"So I guess that's a Yes..." and I tried to reel them back into the 17th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment