that was a little boy's explanation for why Mockingbird wasn't in school that day when his mother asked. It's true, and was pretty much how we did Kindergarten.
This time it was joining Mr. Owl on a business trip to St. George, UT. The children and I ended up taking field trips of what once was.
| Silver Reef ruins |
Great stuff, we went home and our library kindly order a children's book for us about Charlie called Rough, Tough Charley. Written in unique, sparse verse this biography also has a map following Charlie's life and travels into the west.
Our hikes took us to Anasazi ruins and up a dry creek bed. The children had to help eachother up 5 foot dropoffs and around boulders and bushes, as I had a baby in a backpack. Besides, someone needed to take pictures.
| Back down the creek bed |
| Anasazi food storage ruins |
I wouldn't recommend this with an 8, 6, 3 year old, and 9 month old in the heat alone, with no reward but red rocks and more red rocks. But Mrs. Magpie hadn't been out in the wild in a very long time apparently. Fortunately children don't know any better, and humored my need to "just go and see what's around the next bend--I promise."

No comments:
Post a Comment