What we have done for handwriting this year, that is transitioning from print to cursive is this:
For learning the letters we did something each day with one new letter
Monday--Draw new letter in the air with hand big. Trace the capital letter I've drawn on writing paper, and write some of her own.
Tuesday--Do the same thing with the lower-case letter.
Wednesday--Combine the letters with words using what letters have been learned so far.
Thursday--Do copywork of some exerpt from readings.
Once this is done for all 26 letters (26 weeks), I copied out several Children's songs (using words, not "song language") onto wide lined paper using 3 lines per capital, and skipping a line in between. Then I put them in clear plastic sleeves in her school binder, with notebook paper in between each.
Now she will trace them with a dry-erase marker (if needed) then copy on her own paper what she has just traced, maybe half a page a day. I know it is recommended to to exerpts from readings, but I found that it takes a lot of concentration to connect letters at first, and knowing what was coming up in short words is more doable--and as side benifit helps us hum our way through at least this bit of school work.
No comments:
Post a Comment