So... I was talking to a friend of mine who just got engaged. He has five kids, and will be adding 3 with the marriage to total 8 kids under 16y/o in their house. I asked if they would be moving, or staying in the area, and his reply was, "We'd have to move, with 8 kids we'd be on top of each other in this house." ...and they don't homeschool.
At this point I felt as though I'd been slapped with the silly noodle. Did he realize what he was saying? who he was talking to?
His house is 3,200 sq ft, has a recently finished basement complete with sauna, and a 3 car attached garage.
My family of six has lived in an apartment of 3 bedrooms; 1300sq ft for all of our 6 years of homeschooling. I recognize that in many parts of the world my home would feel extravagant and even luxurious with its amenities.
But still, I think I could redefine his idea of "on top of each other." He's a good friend and I am guessing that he just needed an excuse to leave the house his wife died in. Anyway, it got me thinking about things I do specifically with my day because of our space parameters.
Small Space Sanity Savers:
- White Noise Machines- in each bedroom, before this it was me doing laundry every time I wanted to watch a movie without kids.
- Headphones- for the piano and audio books
- Keyboard- moveable piano!
- Get out of the house--we take about a 2 hour break from 11-1 as this is about the time things start to fall apart and we are rolling on the floor eating each other's socks and growling like caged tigers. It also motivates us to get those brainy subjects done at a decent time.
- Maps on table tops--under glass, or bully clipped to the coffee table day of.
- An armoire for school stuff, in the kitchen-hides a multitude of sins.
- Bins--"Math" bin," Language Arts" bin, and "Done" bin for all 3 kids stuff. I used to have bins for each child and realized it was redundant.
- Lunchboxes-everyone in the small kitchen at the same time is madness, we try to take care of it earlier.
- Bedroom with a lock--when things get really noisy and we just need 10 blessed minutes to finish the worksheet already!
- Community Events & Memberships--we go somewhere just about every day. I know some people dread their busy schedules, but for us it's a lifesaver. We aren't at home breathing each other's air, making mess after mess, and we get out to experience quite a bit.
- Clear Sleep, Wake Up, and Quiet Times-- I am not the best at this, but I see that where physical boundaries are small, we need more defined time boundaries to just get the space we need as individuals (and introverts).
All I could honestly say was, "I've never had the luxury of that problem." Meaning, I am always within earshot of just about A-nything in my house, and while I dream of someday having a place to put bikes, and not have all my kids' clothes in one tiny closet because all the camping stuff is in the other, I know that it is far more comfortable than most of history's population, and can't bring myself to complain...too often ;)
4 comments:
i've been there! and i know what it's like! it's fun to see it with a bit of humor sometimes, no?
:)
I've not had that luxury either...if it really is a luxury. You know that song, "Love grows best in little houses"? Its a country song that I've always loved because of its Truth. Without being on top of each other, how can we rub off the rough edges?
I hear ya! We are living in a 700 square foot "cottage" with three young children and I just found out I'm expecting another. 700 sq. feet isn't as bad as it may seem since we do own a cafe and are able to store our extra stuff and off season clothes in the basement there, but it does force one to be really creative and organized when it comes to homeschooling. We ended up painting the doors of a cabinet with chalkboard paint to serve as our school chalkboard b/c there was no room to hang one. I do see the positives though and honestly I really love the little place. My biggest challenge is that I can't get up without the children waking up. Very hard to get a little alone time. The way I look at it though is that I would way rather be living in a small cozy home and living within our means than to be trying to live like everyone else and be in a pool of debt. Just not worth it.
This reminds me of life growing up in a family of eight in Navy housing! We had some crowded living spaces!
Post a Comment