Is it going to stay warm or get cold?
Am I ruining my kids lives for homeschooling or should I keep at it?
Am I normal or going insane?
It's February.
It's the crux of the school year.
Rumors in the roost have it that it's the worst time of year when mother-in-laws (who used to be school teachers) visit, best time for bubble-baths to be taken mid-school day, and mostly likely time for home school mothers everywhere to freak out as they compare their immaculate September spreadsheets to lacking mid-year realism.
We've been homeschooling four years now, and I've noticed this pattern in myself, and-thankfully-honest others around me commiserate. I thought that this year would be a piece of cake with not being pregnant, juggling a public school schedule for siblings, or having a baby under 1, but it's not been. I had heard somewhere that 3 years is what it takes to really make a difference somewhere. That teachers need about that time to really be competent in their classroom. But, my materials are new to me every year for my oldest, I am adding new students every 2 years, and these students aren't staying the same developmentally--it's always changing! Some things get easier, but it's not the same every year. I needed to not be so hard on myself. So if this feeling is predictable--is it normal?
For myself, I am drawing a conclusion: YES.
First, a few reasons why this happens in February so we can not just blame ourselves:
- The excitement of the new school year is gone--as is the delight of the holiday season.
- The weather is blah and unpredictable here, and air quality terrible. Field trips have tapered a bit, and we're just inside a lot.
- It's the middle of the year and we feel like there is so much more for us to do yet.
- We compare our kids to others in different situations, with different goals and priorities.
- I am going to start school earlier in anticipation of unpredictable days during the year.
- I'm going to just enjoy what we are doing instead of checking off a list and 'catching up'
- Even when we have visitors we are going to do some school each day (reading, writing, math)
- I'm going to recognize more often that teaching good habits, exposing to inspiring material, and offering a variety of experiences will outweigh x test score by the time my student finds their area to focus on. It's just an entirely different approach.
- I am also turning over more ownership of their learning, to the student. More here.
It is a great point to question what we need to change and more realistically see what we can still accomplish. I thought that my Y4 student should have been able to do all her work independently by now. But if I had seen the whole year as a transition and training for her to work on her own, it would have made me much more understanding and practical in my approach. But I can see it on the horizon now--and it's a beautiful glimmer in the bleak February days...
No comments:
Post a Comment