Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

"Of Finns & Frames" or "Dates with the Darlings"

As of today, we've instituted monthly dates with our kids and a parent. This month, I got Kingfisher & Bowery Bird.

Kingfisher and I went this morning to the Home Depot Kid's Workshop where this month's project was making a picture frame. I hadn't been to one of these in a long time and had just as much fun watching Kingfisher take his hammering and painting and stickering seriously as I did watching the parents take it just as seriously. I'm not kidding, there are always those parents who take their perfectly capable kids to a "Kid's Workshop" and yet the majority of the work ends up being done by an adult.
Of course we took our pin and balloon (kept in separate pockets), and got doughnuts afterward.

Bowery Bird and I went out this afternoon to another BYU International Cinema film. This time we saw Christmas Story. Not the Christmas Story everyone loves, and I personally loathe, but a Finnish version of St. Nick's beginning. Heavy on woodcarving and pure charity, light on commercialism and magic--it was a breath of arctic air compared to many American Christmas specials. It was Bowery Bird's first full length film with subtitles, and beyond the false start in Finnish--I don't think it even  phased her.
Afterward we exited the back door, and were lured into the science building with it's magnetic-manipulating gloves, perpetual pendulum, and giant crystals from Arkansas. I know--who could refuse?

No comments:

Post a Comment