Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Nature Journal Notes


Inside my nature notebook I like to--

Transcribe conversations:

July 20, 2011

Between a 3y/o Kingfisher and his 5y/o Mockingbird as we are working in our journals-him in a coloring book.
 
 "His face is blue cuz he ate a lollipop" as he colors.
"Was it a lollipop-or was it ice cream?" his sister projects.
"Both...It was both. He ate so much it dripped all over his coat," as coloring book person is covered in light blue pencil.
"I just love [my brother] --even if he did eat all my makeup." (matter-of-factly)
"Yeah. I was a baby then and didn't know any better....And it got all over his eyes!" --more blue.
"What's your favorite thing about my picture, mom?...What's your favorite thing about my picture mom?...Mom! What's your favorite thing about my picture!" as I finish recording their interchange and eventually look up.

Hermetically seal botanical specimens in Scotch tape:

(because it's easier than drawing, right? If it all fits, it's all good.)

Sketch environments and obliterate them with arrows of memories:

Note things We've Learned:

"April 2012
common dandelion  dent de lion-french for "lion's teeth" referring to teeth on the leaves; orig. from Europe."

Somehow makes more sense than the "Dandy-Lion" I'd always explained it to myself as...when I was 5, I mean. I don't. talk to myself. anymore.

Illustrate creatures that will stay still long enough:

only to later spend 2 hours tearing the house apart when they decide they are still feral-no matter how docile and cute the earlier act was. (much panting----and I sit down.)

Document events:

Like just when the cherries along the path, plums around the chapel, and apricots at the park are ripe for gleaning (lucky for us 1. this neighborhood used to be one huge orchard and 2. apparently no one looks at trees anymore).

and Take note of the seasons:

May 2, 2011 
My husband and children "went to the abandoned 'flower house' at the end of the path & brought these [Grape Hyacinth & Wild Rose] back and a bouquet of tulips (early Mother's Day Request!)"

- isn't the 'flower house' so much more picturesque than its other name- 'the crack house'? sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment